Carpets are still the primary flooring choice for many homeowners. You can always find a carpet that will compliment any interior setting and give you years of elegant look and comfort. However, the carpet is one of the common places in a home that is at high risk for mold growth and invasion.
Causes of Mold Growth On Carpets
Mold can multiply rapidly in a damp or moist environment and other favorable conditions that sustain its growth. Here are the most common causes of mold growth on carpets.
Unchecked Water Damage
Carpets are more susceptible to mold and mildew growth because they can easily absorb excess water from the walls or beneath the floor.
Poorly ventilated homes allow mold spores to settle on different surfaces like the carpet. This may get worse if your home has water damage issues since it creates excess moisture that facilitates mold growth.
Increased Levels of Humidity
If there is a high level of humidity, it means that the moisture content in the air is also high. Thus, creating a damp environment that gives more room for mold growth.
Poor Home Maintenance
Plumbing issues, leaky roofs and walls, dusty surfaces, and bad window seals contribute to the growth of mold and mildew on carpets. Furthermore, they create a conducive environment that favors their existence. Not vacuuming your carpet and floors regularly will make the accumulated dust to combine with moisture absorbed from the air. Hence, allowing mold to spread rapidly on the carpet.
Unintentional Liquid Spills
There are times when you spill water or any fluids on your carpet accidentally, it gets soaked in the fibers before you can clean up. Other homeowners disregard the problem even after several liquid spills on the carpet. Because of this, mold and mildew can grow quickly after a few days of exposure to a moist environment.
Mold Prevention Tips
Some simple measures can help you prevent molds on your carpets.
- Maintain low humidity of 65 percent or lower for a mold-free carpet. Use a portable dehumidifier or you can leave windows and doors open if necessary.
- It’s good to invest in quality dehumidifiers to keep moisture at a constant minimum if you have a humid home. This will protect carpeting and hardwood flooring.
- Avoid putting potted plants directly with or without a drip tray underneath onto the carpet. You can use glazed pots (not terracotta) on carpeting and a moisture barrier like a rubber mat or tray.
- Don’t pile firewood onto the carpet. Set a moisture barrier between the carpet and wood.
- Maintain temperatures below 80F to prevent mold in carpets. Central or portable air conditioning can also help in preventing mold growth.
- You can use a deterrent spray for your pets to prevent them from staying on the carpet.
- Consider installing synthetic carpet materials. Wool carpets are prone to mold growth according to Ohio State News.
- Regularly cleaning your carpet is necessary. Vacuum once a week is recommended for carpets to last longer and prevent mold growth.
- Get rid of mold and mildew smells from your carpet with Superior Restoration.
Contact Mold Removal Professionals
Finding mold in your home is never good and you should take action to clean it up promptly. A professional mold removal company, like Superior Restoration, can help you completely remove mold from your carpet.
Superior Restoration offers professional mold removal services. Our trained technicians use advanced methods and equipment to identify and fix the source of the problem and eventually get rid of the mold on your carpet. Please feel free to call our local office, Water Damage Rancho Cucamonga. We are available 24/7 to help you with inspection and mold damage removal.