Just a week ago, a home in the area was engulfed in a house fire. It was very devastating and recovering can be difficult.
Suffering from a fire can be terrifying, not to mention the water damage that is usually the immediate consequence of extinguishing the fire. Understanding what to do next, where to start, who to reach out, etc. can all be stressful and overwhelming. But, don’t worry. There is always hope in recovery. With a little help from the article you will be reading below and from the most trusted restoration companies, your life will be back on track and your home will be safe to live again.
Here is the list of things that you should do and NOT do after a house fire.
What TO DO After a House Fire
- Make sure to protect the area from additional damage by theft, weather, and vandalism.
- Coordinate with the Fire Department officials to know if your fire-damaged home is safe to enter.
- Contact your insurance company to report the incident and begin the claim process. The sooner you contact them, the quicker the process will take.
- Create an inventory of the damaged items. Take pictures or videos as proof of the damage. If possible, include the details of the damaged items.
- Notify family members, relatives or friends about the incident.
- Ensure the comfort and safety of your pets.
- Contact utility providers for gas, water, and electricity and inform them of the fire incident.
- If you have to leave your property, make sure to keep valuable items and heirlooms in the area. If the area is unsafe, you may contact the local police department to keep an eye on your property.
- Make sure to get a copy of the “fire report” issued by the responding fire department and carefully read the details. A fire report is a document that contains the details of the incident. Acquiring a copy of it depends on the area you live in. This is also an important document for insurance claims.
- A fire can cause trauma and a lot of stress to the occupants. Make sure to take care of each and everyone’s emotional needs and seek counseling, if necessary.
- Notify the following of the recent incident; your children’s school so teachers are informed of the stress they are dealing with; the local post office to hold or forward your mail; your employer and your banking and other financial institutions.
- Start processing important documents damaged in fire such as passports, license, etc.
- If you need assistance or disaster relief, you may contact your local Red Cross or The Salvation Army.
- Contact a trusted fire damage restoration company, like Superior Restoration.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Enter your property until it was announced as hazard-free.
- Attempt to reconnect a utility such as gas, water or electricity by yourself unless checked by a professional trade person.
- Leave your home unattended.
- Refreeze thawed items in the refrigerator.
- Attempt to clean or remove soot and smoke damaged items yourself. Let this job done by professionals who are skilled and equipped.
Hire A Fire Damage Restoration Company
A fire can cause a lot of damage to your home and dangers might be invisible to your naked eyes. Doing the job on your own might be risky and restoring a fire-damaged home requires a lot of time and effort. No matter how big the damage is, a repair should be done immediately to prevent further damage. Thus, hiring a professional fire damage restoration company is crucial in reclaiming your home from a house fire. A certified restoration company has the necessary equipment and skills in dealing with fire damage home.
What to Expect From a Professional Restoration Company
A fire damage restoration company follows the proper standard of restoring a home. These are the things you can expect from them.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
A trusted restoration company will offer an emergency service, which means they will be available at the moment you contacted them and will provide immediate relief to your property.
Step 2: Assessment
It is an important procedure for restoration. Professionals will assess the severity of the damage so they can create a course of action in repairing or restoring your home and will give you an accurate amount of how much it would cost.
Step 3: Tarp and Sealing
This step helps in mitigating the damage, preventing it from getting worse. They will immediately address the potential source of the damage.
Step 4: Clean Up
Removing smoke, dust, and soot from different surfaces will be done during clean up. Also, standing water during the extinguishing of fire should be removed. You can also expect the removal and disposal of unsalvageable items during this step. If there is contamination, they sanitize the affected items.
Step 5: Repair and Renovation
The last step of the restoration procedure is restoring furniture and repairing fire-damaged items. For instance, they will repair or replace a cabinet damaged by fire.
House fire can happen to anyone. And, when this disaster hits you, make sure to be prepared. Keep in mind the things that you have to do and NOT to do after a fire. Moreover, having a list of trusted fire damage restoration companies, like Water Damage Rancho Cucamonga, can give you peace of mind. If you need help in restoring your home from fire damage or water damage, please contact us today.