Wood furniture and other wood products in your home are aesthetically pleasing and naturally attractive. However, they can be a breeding ground for mold since people don’t realize how often they can grow on surfaces. In this article, knowing how to prevent mold on wood would save not only your furniture but your health as well.
Negative Effects of Mold on Wood
Mold fungi produce spores that float around anywhere. Given the right conditions such as warmth and moisture and since wood soaks up water and retains it, mold growth starts. Mold causes discoloration to the wood which is characterized by different types of mold such as green mold or black mold. Discoloration spoils the appearance of timber elements and lowers their commercial value.
Furthermore, mold and mildew increase the ability of wood to absorb moisture giving way to increasing the risk of decay fungi. This will lead to the weakening of the wood structure, darkening, and shrinking of wood with eventual crumbling if not addressed immediately.
The damage can force you to dispose of your furniture and other wood structures in your home or replace them. To prevent mold damage, hire mold removal specialists especially if the affected area is more than 10 square feet. They can help ease your worries.
Find Out What Kills Mold on Wood
Ensure mold-free wooden structures in your home! Remove mold immediately once you notice them. Below you will have a better understanding of what kills mold on wood and will help maintain the aesthetic appearance of wood structures and protect your health as well.
Before you begin the process of removing mold on wood, think of your safety first. Wear the necessary protective gear such as a mask, respirator, goggles, gloves, and coverall.
1. You can choose any cleaning solution that is right for the job. Be it chemically or naturally, they are useful in eradicating mold on wood.
Homeowners annoyed by mold problems often ask, “Does bleach kill mold?” or “ Will vinegar kill mold?”. Well, yes, they are useful in getting rid of nasty mold.
Mix 1 part of dishwashing detergent, 10 parts bleach, and 20 parts warm water. Apply the solution to the moldy area.
Bleach is effective at killing mold but on the surface only. The spores will just hide in the membranes and go deeper into the porous item to avoid the chemical (bleach).
- Distilled White Vinegar
Mix equal parts vinegar and warm water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the mold. Let the solution dry for at least one hour.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
In a spray bottle, pour 3% hydrogen peroxide then spritz it onto the moldy area until covered completely. Let it stay for about 10 minutes or more and until the hydrogen peroxide stops bubbling.
2. Scrub the affected surface or area with a cleaning solution of your choice. You can use a soft-bristled brush and a low abrasive scrub pad so as not to damage the wooden surface.
Start scrubbing as gently as possible but add more force if necessary. Repeat until fungi are entirely removed from the wood surface.
3. Sand the moldy area. The sanding process is necessary especially if the fungi roots have already penetrated deeper into the wood. You can use it by hand or an electric sander to sand the area you cleaned. Repeat if necessary.
4. Clean up the area then dry. Once you finish scrubbing and sanding to get rid of mold, clean up the area where you worked. Collect and dispose of any residue and other items that are contaminated with the fungi. This will lead to new mold growths, so be sure not to leave any around.
5. Ventilate the area by using fans to dry the surface or the furniture completely.
How to Prevent Mold on Wood
- To prevent mold on wooden furniture, it is important to keep the area clean and dry.
- If mold stains are present, clean mold immediately with a solution of white vinegar and water.
- To reduce the amount of mold spores in the air, use a HEPA filter and keep open windows for good ventilation.
- Regularly inspect wooden surfaces for any signs of mold growth and take action immediately to prevent further damage.
By implementing these measures, you can effectively prevent mold from growing on your wooden furniture and keep it in good condition for longer.
Mold Remediation Services
If you can’t still remove mold on wood even after following the tips above, contact our mold expert team at Superior Restoration and Shamrock Cleaning. We offer quality mold remediation and removal services.
Contact Water Damage Rancho Cucamonga today! We will help you prevent extensive mold damage with our latest equipment and tools. So you’ll have a safer home with your family. We are glad to serve you 24/7.