Does your carpet have stubborn stains, pet odors, and other smells? Home carpet cleaning is a real challenge, especially for busy housewives. Forget about complicated equipment and just get that effective, safe deodorizer, and a cleaner in your kitchen cabinet! Using baking soda on the carpet is an effective way to clean and absorb the odor of your carpets.
Carpets are trendy and make your home feel warmer, especially during colder months. But having clean carpets in your home is very important and will give you great satisfaction. Find out more about baking soda and its benefits especially in caring for your carpets.
What is Baking Soda?
Bicarbonate of soda or simply baking soda is a powerful, natural cleaning tool that is very useful in your home. It is used to remove stains from carpets, fight unpleasant odors and simply refresh the appearance of carpeting.
Pros of Using Baking Soda
- It’s natural and has no harsh chemicals. It is an alkali.
- It’s cheap, and you may already have a box in your kitchen.
- It doesn’t irritate allergies because it has no fragrances. A good reason why you should use baking soda rather than scented commercial deodorizers that may cover the odors.
- Baking soda works well on getting rid of odors, rather than masking them up.
- Baking soda as a carpet cleaner is mild yet effective. It really gets rid of dirt from your carpet.
- Baking soda is safe to use.
- Baking soda is a multi-purpose product that you can use anywhere. You can use it in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry, living room, and pool as a cleaner and a deodorizer.
Cons of Using Baking Soda
- It is not recommended to use baking soda for cleaning very delicate silk carpets. They should be taken care of by professionals.
- If you use too much baking soda on your carpet, it can end up in your floor gaps or slab.
- Baking soda won’t completely get rid of old, stubborn stains. To see a positive effect, it’s necessary to clean the carpet with baking soda several times in a row. This will clean out and eliminate all dirt and stains.
- The particles of baking soda are so tiny that they can find their way underneath the carpet fibers. They can clog the pores of your vacuum bag or HEPA filter. This will reduce suction and eventually lead to poor cleaning performance.
Deodorizing Carpets With Baking Soda
- Remove any furniture off the carpet then vacuum the area and the carpet. This will get rid of any dirt, pet fur, or debris.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally all over your carpet either from the box, a shaker, or a fine-mesh sieve. For a deep-pile carpet, sprinkle small sections at a time. Then, use your fingers to work with baking soda moving on to the next part.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for an hour or ideally overnight for odor absorption.
- Vacuum the carpet to get rid of baking soda and notice that the smell will be gone.
- Return any furniture and it’s done.
Using Baking Soda to Remove Stubborn Carpet Stains
No need to worry about carpet stains! You can remove it with baking soda. However, different approaches can be applied for greasy and non-greasy stains.
For Greasy Stains:
- Always begin with vacuuming the carpet area to get rid of other dirt and debris around.
- Blot up the stain to remove as much of the grease as possible using a paper towel or a rug.
- Sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda over the stain so as to completely cover the area.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for up to eight hours or better if overnight.
- Vacuum the affected area thoroughly in the morning.
- For the remaining stain, get the dish soap. Put a drop and blot it over the stain and just increase for bigger stains. Cover the area in a little water then blot repeatedly until everything is absorbed.
For Non-Greasy Stains
- Vacuum the area first to get rid of other dust, dirt, and debris.
- Sprinkle an amount of baking soda freely over the stained carpet area.
- Put some hot water in a spray bottle then spritz until the area becomes slightly damp.
- Let the baking soda sit overnight.
- Vacuum the area in the morning and check the stains, they should be gone.
Professional Carpet Cleaners from Superior Restoration and Shamrock Cleaning
Baking soda on your carpet acts as a cleaner and a deodorizer at the same time. But with regular maintenance and professional carpet cleaning, the longevity and appearance of your carpet are improved.
Now is the right time to have your carpets cleaned by professional cleaning. Professional cleaners can handle any carpet issues especially water damaged carpets.
Please contact Water Damage Rancho Cucamonga today and experience the best cleaning service in town! We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.